Sappi expands its speciality and packaging paper capacity; will acquire the speciality paper business of Cham Paper Group Holding AG (CPG)
Sappi Limited, a leading global producer of dissolving wood pulp, speciality and packaging papers, graphic (printing and writing) paper and biomaterials, today announced that it had signed an agreement to acquire the speciality paper business of Cham Paper Group Holding AG (CPG) for CHF146.5 million (approximately $149 million).
The transaction includes the acquisition of CPG’s Carmignano and Condino Mills in Italy, ist digital imaging business located in Cham, Switzerland as well as all brands and know-how. It will be funded through internal cash resources. The transaction is conditional on the approval from certain competition authorities. We expect the acquisition to be completed during the first calendar quarter of 2018.
The main benefits of the acquisition include:
- Strengthens Sappi Europe’s
speciality and packaging papers footprint and skills; adds
160,000 tons of speciality paper to our capacity segments
- Increases Sappi’s relevance in speciality papers, opening up new customers and markets to Sappi’s existing products and generating economies of scale and synergies
- Gaining greater share-of-wallet with valued brand owners; accelerating innovation and new product development
- Improved near-term profitability and serve as platform for organic growth and further acquisitions. Will add €183 million of sales and approximately €20 million of EBITDA before taking into account synergies
- Builds on the investments currently underway to increase speciality paper capacity at our Somerset, Maastricht and Alfeld Mills
- Unlocks the growth potential of the CPG speciality paper business
Commenting on the transaction Steve Binnie, Chief Executive Officer of Sappi Limited, said:
“This acquisition further strengthens Sappi’s speciality paper business both in Europe and globally by combining Cham’s strong brands and assets with Sappi’s global reach. This transaction will increase profitability and unlock the significant growth and Innovation potential inherent within the speciality paper market. I am very pleased that we have taken another signification step towards realizing our Vision2020 goal.”
Berry Wiersum, CEO Sappi Europe stated:
“We are very excited about the possibilities this transaction opens up for Sappi as well as for Cham’s highly respected business. The products and brands which have been acquired are an excellent complement to our market offering, enabling us to offer our existing, as well as new customers in Europe, North America and globally, a broader range of products coupled with excellent customer service.”